The museum is located on one of the old streets of the city – M. Gorky Street, which used to bear the poetic name “Houses”, “Dams”. The wooden buildings along Gorky Street are a model of the urban development of the beginning of the 20th century and are monuments of Neoclassicism architecture. A peaceful peaceful street became notorious during the German-fascist occupation. Here was located the Hitler’s Gestapo. In 1944, during the impetuous offensive of the Soviet Army, the Nazis did not have time to evacuate their archives. And to hide the traces of crimes, two houses burned. So in the flame documentary evidence of the black affairs of the occupiers died. The building, where the district museum is now located, was built in the early 1920s. Here lived the burgomaster with his family. The house is built on a hill, the thickness of the walls of the building is one meter. A compact, rectangular two-story building is covered with a high attic roof with archery armor. On the first floor there used to be a large hall, kitchen, dining room and servants rooms. The corridors of the first and second floors were decorated with high arched openings, which have survived to the present day. On the second floor led a wooden spiral staircase, decorated with carved handrails. There were bedrooms and rest rooms. The apartment was decorated with a beautiful patterned parquet floor, white tiled stoves for heating.