The museum is located in the ancient landscape park “Mankovichi”, which is a monument of nature of national importance. The park was founded in 1885 by Maria Dorothea de Castellan, the wife of Nesvizh prince Anthony Radziwill. A little later, in 1905, here was erected a palace complex, in which until 1939 the residence of the David-Gorodoksky ordination of the princes of the Radziwills was placed.
David-Gorodok for a long time was the seat of the Radziwills residence in Polesie. However, in the middle of the XIX century, because the wooden castle in David Gorodok came to desolation, the Radziwills decided to change their residence in Poles. The place for the new patrimonial nest was chosen in the large estate of Mankevich, the modern village of Mankovichi.
The first owner of the manor and park ensemble (folklore) in the village of Mankovichi was Prince Stanislav Radziwill – the son of Antony and Maria Dorothea. It was Stanislav Radziwill in the park, laid by his mother, unfolded the construction of the palace, which was to become the new permanent residence of the owners of the David-Gorodok Ordination.
The museum’s history dates back to August 1953, when local authorities decided to create it. The first exposition was located on the second floor of a small two-storey building in the very center of the city. The first director of the museum was Vera Matvievna Ochkina. She literally from the first exhibit headed the creation of the museum. By the way, this very first exhibit is still in the museum today – a copper penny with the image of St. George the Victorious. Its museum was presented by a resident of Stolin – Vasily Naumchik.
Local residents actively participated in the creation of the museum. They carried all the interesting things that they only had: stone axes, old documents, tools of work and life, various coins, etc.
As the museum funds were constantly replenished, the question arose about the expansion of its areas. And since 1970 he is in the park “Mankovichi”.
Today the museum has collected more than 24 thousand exhibits. The largest collections: numismatics, bonistics, faleristics, photo documents and printed publications. Every year, museum funds are replenished on average by 300-350 items. As in the very first days, local residents are a great help in replenishing the funds.
Now the exposition of the museum is located in 6 halls: nature, archeology, history and ethnography. The chronological stages of the exposition cover the historical period from 7-8 thousand BC. e. up to the present.
Inspection of the exposition starts from the nature hall, which acquaints visitors with the geography of the area, its rich flora and fauna. A special showcase in the center introduces the fish of Stolin water reservoirs, and the artistic diorama “The Edge of the Woods and the Marshes” shows the landscape of the south-eastern part of our region, where one of the largest in Belarus landscape reserve “Olmansk bogs”. In all, three republican sanctuaries are located on the territory of the district: the Olmansk bogs, the Middle Pripyat and the Morochno.