The Cherven regional museum of local lore is located in the former building of the county government – an analog of the modern district executive committee. The building was built by a doctor named Kudin and used as a lucrative home. The fate of Kudin is unknown. It is assumed that in 1937 he was shot as an enemy of the people, but there is no exact confirmation of this.
From the balcony of this house, the inhabitants of the city were announced the overthrow of the autocracy and the establishment of Soviet power. After the revolution, the house was used for many years as an administrative building. It housed the local administration. In 1985 the district library entered the building, and on January 1, 1992 a museum was opened here.
The exposition of the museum is located in three halls: “Igumen in the Ancient Times”, “Great Patriotic War on Cherven region”, “Cultural Achievements of the Cherven region”.
From the first steps visitors enter the magical world of legends connected with the Hegumen’s history. The most romantic among them is the legend of the founder of the city.