It was founded in October 1929 in Baranovichi as a povet museum. At the same time, the first museum exposition was opened for visiting. The museum had three departments: nature, history and ethnography. During the years of the Nazi occupation museum funds were looted. The first postwar years – the period of the revival of the Baranovichi Museum. Currently, the Baranovichi Museum of Local History is located in the historical center of the city, in the building of the early nineteenth century. XX century. The main task of the museum is to preserve, study the historical and cultural heritage of the region, to educate compatriots for a sense of patriotism, pride and respect for the history of their small homeland and the country as a whole. The museum’s holdings number 59402 units of storage, of which the main fund is 40930 units. Among the 35 museum collections, the most interesting are: a collection of postcards with views of the city of Baranovichi (early XX century and 1920 – 1930’s); Towers (late XIX – first half of the XX century Baranovichi and Lyakhovichi districts); numismatics (coins of the XVI – XX centuries, including 4 treasures); underground publications of the period of fascist occupation.
The museum is one of the cultural and educational centers of the city, which offers thematic, pedestrian excursions for various categories of visitors, museum and pedagogical classes, the program “visiting museum”. The exposition of the Baranovichi Museum of Local History is located in 7 rooms and has 3 sections: “Nature of the Baranovichi Territory”, “History of the Baranovichi Territory”, exposition section “Baranovichi. The city in which we live. “