The first Grand Duke Lithuanian Mindovg chose Novogrudok as the center of his possessions and the first capital of the newly founded Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today, the time has passed when the city was a political center. However, it still remains a cultural asset of Belarus.
Initially, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord was built in the Gothic style, and after rebuilt in the Sarmatian Baroque style, which is why the elements of different eras are intertwined in its architecture. Attention is drawn to three chapels, which differ in size and shape, are oriented in different directions and are built in honor of different saints.
In the chapel of the Body of the Lord there is a memorial plate made of black marble. In the Battle of Khotyn in 1621, a cavalry regiment consisting of 720 horsemen took part. Kashtelian (manager of the castle and some judicial functions) Ian Rudamin commanded them. It is believed that it was the intervention of this regiment in the battle that turned the course of the whole battle. It was in honor of his brother and neighbors who fought against the Turks that Kashtelian ordered the installation of a memorial plate: in the center there is a bas-relief depicting nine figures and Yana Rudamin himself, from below – defeated enemies, and on top – the Mother of God with a child.
Around the knights rest the remains of 11 nuns-Nazareth women, who sacrificed themselves to save 120 people who were illegally sentenced by the Nazis. When mass arrests were carried out among civilians, the nuns made the statement that if a victim of life is needed, then let them shoot them better than those who have families. Pontiff John Paul II listed the martyrs as saints.