The church of St. Peter and Paul (Peter and Paul Church), located on the Neman coast in the village of Novy Sverzhen, specialists refer to the representatives of the Renaissance. It was believed that the complex was conceived as a Calvinistic gathering, but the latest research confirms the theory of the founding of the Peter and Paul Church by Radziwill the Orphan in 1588: according to the act of the Main Tribunal, Orphan ordered the foundation of the building to be erected. A native of a noble family was known as a haters of Protestantism, which was actively implanted by his father Radziwill Black.
The temple complex is made in the form of a rectangular view with one nave. Transepts of the sides are not particularly pronounced, a semicircular apse is extended beyond the boundaries of the basic outlines. The massive and squat bulk of the towers is combined with the modesty of the overall stylistics, which gives the church austerity and striking monumental architectural appearance.
The three-tier tower – the belfry is completed by a high pyramidal roof with a sharp spire, peculiar buttresses serve as a decoration. From the bottom of the tower’s structure a ladder of wood, leading to the upper rooms, rises. The ascetic elements of the decor are expressed in the tower, where a simple arcade with pilasters serves as an ornament of the second floor, semicircular grooves – respectively, of the third.
Initially, the temple housed six icons of the apostles and a sculptural image of Christ, silver dishes for the Liturgy. During the Soviet era, valuables were seized, and the church was re-qualified in the manure storage. Residents and the current abbot restored the complex, returning to the ancient building harmony.