For over a year an empty palace of the XVIII century stands in the heart of Grodno. For a long time there was a military commandant’s office, now it is being prepared for sale from an auction.
Since July 1, 2014 in Belarus, military prosecutors and courts have been liquidated. In Grodno they were located on Ozheshko Street in the building of the former Medical Academy. Here they moved in the first post-war years, says “Your Style”.
Grodno lawyer Igor Kuzminich served from 1996 to 1998 in the military court, which was in this old building.
– To tell the truth, already at that moment there was nothing of value from the interior left. The building was in poor condition. Inside it looked like barracks, and there is nothing more to remember.
The last cosmetic repair was carried out before the collapse of the USSR. But the palace is still striking in its size: from high ceilings, ending with chic staircases.
The Department of Communal Property and Privatization of the City Executive Committee told that the question of the future fate of the building is now being decided. One of the proposed ideas – to place here the House of Marriages – decided to postpone until better times. Now the city is ready to consider various options from investors and citizens. The main thing is that the building does not stand empty.
On the territory of the palace was the Grodno guardhouse, popularly known as the “lip”. The chambers and the territory of the guardhouse will strike any townspeople. Few people knew that 200 meters from the university there is such a closed regime facility. In such a place it would be possible to organize a quest room, a museum, to use for filming films about the prison and prisoners.
Reference. Building on the street. Ozheshko, 20 – Grodno Medical Academy, the palace of the princes Chetvertinsky, military commandant’s office. Year of construction – 1786. A monument of late Baroque architecture with the use of eclectic elements. After perestroika in the late 1940s – early 1950s. The domes were replaced with attics decorated with military heraldry, the central balcony was removed, the roof in the central part was lowered, decorative roof trim was destroyed.
The building was designed by the architect Giuseppe Sacco for the Grodno medical school. However, in fact the building was completed after the school itself was transferred to Vilnius. Later the building passed ownership of the princes Svyatopolk-Chetvertinsky, private art collections were kept here. Here was born the historian Joseph Yodkovsky (December 20, 1890), was a boarding school of the second army corps (1903), the administration of the county military commander (1915). In Soviet times, the first and second sections of the Grodno region were working here. Until 2014 the building was occupied by the military commandant’s office.