In 35 kilometers from Braslav there is one of the most remarkable historical settlements of Braslav region – the urban settlement of Druja. In the XVII – early XX century, Druya was considered a city. The settlement is located at the confluence of the Drujka River, originating from Lake Drivyaty, to the Western Dvina.
Druya, the most significant trade and craft center of Braslav region in ancient times. The city was always privately owned. Used Magdeburg right from the beginning of the XVII century. It has a rich historical and architectural heritage. It has officially approved in 2003 an ancient coat of arms.
In written sources, Druya was first mentioned in 1386. The heyday of the city came in the 17th-18th centuries, when it was owned by Sapieha, one of the richest and most influential families of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. At the beginning of the 17th century, Sapieha announced the establishment of a new town next to the old settlement and gave him the name Sapeyzhin. In 1618, Sapezhin received the Magdeburg right. The city coat of arms featured a boat with a loose sail – a symbol of the commercial value of the settlement. Handicraftsmen, merchants, who were granted certain privileges willingly moved here. Yet Sapiezhin did not become a separate city, but developed as part of the Druya.
The main fund of the museum, which has seven exhibition halls, has more than 14.5 thousand items of storage.
This institution of culture was opened in 1979 as a museum of military glory, and in 1981 it was transformed into a local history museum. In 1987, he moved to a new 2-storey building.
Most of the events in the museum are held with the students of the district schools. There are lectures, mass events, themed evenings and excursions, pedagogical classes using exhibits from museum funds, as well as a variety of traveling exhibitions.