In the first days of the fortifications of the Bobruisk fortress in June 1810, 1,295 soldiers worked in the city, more and more new military units gradually arrived. In one of the quarters of the Bobruisk fortress the construction of barracks was planned. Barracks (from the Latin casa – house) – a building equipped for permanent deployment of troops. However, initially the troops engaged in the construction, mostly located in the nearest villages to the city, some units – in temporary wooden barracks. Immediately after the end of the war in 1812, dugouts were built to house the garrison along the perimeter of the Bobruisk fortress. Over time, new good barracks buildings were to appear on the territory of the fortress. Already in the 1920s, wooden barracks and dugouts were replaced by five stone barracks.
In 1825, a soldier’s settlement was laid for the family military workers west of Slutsk Formachta (in the area of the present street of Engels). The houses were built here on the model of military settlements. Until now, these buildings, of course, did not live, although the one-storyed street of Engels (formerly the Invalid) has preserved to this day. In 1830, in connection with the so-called “Polish” uprising, the garrison of the fortress increased, and the construction of new barracks was planned. They were erected in different blocks of the fortress. These were residential buildings, without defensive casemates. The location and appointment of the barracks in the Brest Fortress was quite different: they were built around the perimeter of the citadel, they had to serve for defense in the event of an enemy attack.
Nowadays in the territory of the Bobruisk fortress several buildings of the former barracks of the nineteenth century have been preserved. Among them, the three-storied barracks of the U-shaped form are especially impressive (the third floor was built during the reconstruction of the building in the twentieth century). Some tourists are puzzled over the purpose for which one of the corners of the barracks was made sharp, and not straight. But it is worth looking at the fortress plan, it becomes clear that the building had to fit into the already existing silhouette of the main shaft of the fortress. In this barracks could accommodate an infantry battalion or regiment of cavalry. In the lower floors were located kitchens, workshops, study rooms. The upper floors were intended to accommodate soldiers. Inside was a closed courtyard. Within the walls of this building on the night of 7 to 8 November 1941, a terrible tragedy occurred. On the eve of the fascist command of concentration camp No. 131, which was located on the territory of the Bobruisk fortress, decided to destroy part of the prisoners of war. To do this, the officers of one of the Sonderkommandos organized the arson of the barracks building in such a way that the prisoners of war themselves arranged it for the purpose of escape. On 6 November, materials for arson and fuel were placed in the attic of the building. In the evening of November 7, a fire broke out in the barracks.
Those who tried to escape the fire, German soldiers shot from machine guns. On the territory of the fortress, where about 18 thousand people were kept, only more than 4 thousand people died in one night. After the end of the Great Patriotic War, the three-story building of the barracks continued to be used for its purpose, and in a one-story building on the other side of the street there was a dining room (in those days when the Bobruisk fortress was still a first-class fortress and this building was a barracks). In the courtyard of the former one-story barracks there were preserved small structures, called on the plans of the fortress “services at soldiers’ barracks” (in the courtyards wells and passages were usually located). All the buildings of the former barracks of the XIX century were built according to the projects of the engineer-lieutenant Staubert, who gave their facades a simple and strict appearance.