The first professional theater was created in Brest in August 1940. It was called the Brest Regional Russian Drama Theater, however, the war interrupted the brilliantly begun theatrical seasons.
Immediately after the liberation of Brest from the Nazi invaders, in October 1944 it was decided to create the State Youth Russian Drama Theater named after the Leninist Komsomol of Belarus in Brest. In the hard post-war years, everyone had a hard time. The building of the Brest Theater was destroyed, the artists huddled in a small one-story house, located near the ruined theater. The auditorium was equipped with wooden benches and accommodated only 150 people. Artists, together with the inhabitants of Brest, restored the building of the theater. The artistic director of the theater was the young talented director Nikolai Mickiewicz.
In 1949 the union of the Brest and Mogilev theaters took place. Young artists from other theaters were invited. This uneasy collective team was united by the director and art director Yuri Reshimov. The post-war repertoire addressed heroic military dramaturgy. On the stage of the theater were staged performances: “Young Guard” A. Fadeev, “How the Steel Was Tempered” by N. Ostrovsky, “Constantine Zaslonov” by A. Movzon. The symbol of the young theater was the play “The Brest Fortress” based on the play by Konstantin Gubarevich.
In the sixties many interesting innovative directors and actors came to the theater, including, from 1964 to 1968, a puppet theater worked here, which later was allocated to a separate organization.
In 1989, the reconstruction of the theater building was started, which lasted 7 years. In 1995, a grand opening was held, after which the performance “The Marriage of Figaro” was given. Simultaneously, the symphony orchestra joined the theater, and the theater was named Brest Theater of Drama and Music.
Since 1996, the theater hosts guests at the international theatrical festival “Belaya Vezha”, in which theater groups from more than 20 countries of the world take part.