The place where the building of the Vitebsk Regional Philharmonic is now located has a long cultural tradition.
In 1873 – 1874 years on the initiative of the Governor P.Ya. Rostovtsev two-story brick building was converted for the city theater. Famous actors and entertainments performed in the theater, performances of Russian authors were staged. Twice attended the theater V.E. Meyerhold: with the troupe V.F. Komissarzhevskaya and own. At the end of the XIX century the auditorium of the theater was four-tiered and accommodated up to 800 spectators.
Since the autumn of 1920 the Vitebsk city theater was called the Provincial Exhibition Theater. In 1941, with the outbreak of hostilities, the building was destroyed. The new one was erected in 1957 according to A. Efremenko’s design in the style of “Stalin’s Empire”.
Since May 1989, the Vitebsk Regional Philharmonic has been working in this building. Currently there are two halls in the philharmonic society. Large and small – for 500 and 100 spectators respectively. The special pride of the Philharmonic is the concert grand piano of Steinway & Sons and the wind organ of the German company Glatter-Götz.
Thanks to modern musical equipment, the Philharmonic’s stage allows you to enjoy the masterpieces of world classics and the music of contemporaries performed by eminent guests and young talents.
The audience comes to the evenings of classical music, Russian romance, jazz, folk and author’s songs, performances, concerts-presentations. Organic music sounded from the stage of the regional philharmonic society, concerts of “Festival without borders”.
The solemn ceremony of awarding the winners of the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk” was held more than once in the Vitebsk Regional Philharmonic.