The Pustynsky Monastery has a very long and complex history, as well as many other monasteries of Belarus. The history of the monastery began in the distant 1380 and is closely connected with the curative Pustyn source. Prince Semyon, the son of Algerd, was healed by the waters of this spring and ordered the building of a monastery around him. Moreover, near the source, he found the icon.
For this icon he built a wooden church, in which it was kept until 1917, until the Bolsheviks came to the monastery. It is not known whether they destroyed the icon or just sold it. But the icon is not found to this day.
However, let us return to the history of the monastery. Prince Semyon did not just build a chapel, he spread the glory of this wonderful place in all Russian lands. Soon, monks from the Kiev-Pecherskaya Lavra came to the Pustynki. First they lived in dugouts, but then gradually began to equip the monastery.
The Desert Holy Assumption Monastery was always on the border with the Moscow Principality (even today, to the border with Russia only two hundred meters!), But for a very long time the war bypassed it. The first one who attacked the monastery was Ivan the Terrible. After that the monastery was empty for ten years, until Stefan Batory did not give the monastery to the Polotsk bishop. But another war again devastated the monastery and it was empty until the 17th century.
In the 17th century monastic Uniats came to the Pustynsky Monastery. The Orthodox was not too happy about this, but they could not win the monastery. It was the Uniates who built the Assumption Cathedral, the ruins of which have survived to this day. And the temple was built in such a way that in the thick walls there were passages through which it was possible to walk around the temple. In addition, the Uniates founded a school at the monastery.
The majestic belfry, which meets the guests of the monastery, was built by Orthodox monks – in the second half of the 19th century. In Soviet times, the belfry was going to explode. But the proximity (in the building of the former monastic school in Soviet times the school was located) the school did not allow it. In the second half of the 19th century the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin was also built, located near the most healing spring. Orthodox monks also built the Intercession Church. In this church were the cells in which the monks lived.
The Pustynsky Monastery lasted until 1918. With the advent of Soviet power the monastery was closed, and an orphanage was built in its buildings. Even during the Second World War, the fascists bypassed the former monastery side. The orphanage existed on the territory of the monastery until 1970. Then the children were transferred to another place, and here they brought tractors, which began to pull the walls of the monastery.
And only in 2003 the monks returned to the Pustynsky Monastery. The first night they went to sleep in one of the rooms of the building of the former school, since it was best preserved. And that night a miracle happened. In the morning, when the monks woke up, they saw on the wall the image of Jesus Christ. Every day the image becomes more clear. And experts, who checked this figure, found that it was not made by hand.
The monks considered it a divine blessing and began to restore the monastery. Today, the building of the school and the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin have been completely restored. In the process of reconstruction is the Assumption Cathedral.
The Pustynsky Monastery is a place with a crystal clear aura. It is in such places that you begin to think about the eternal and realize the transience of human life. Therefore, pilgrims from all parts of Belarus invariably come to this monastery to drink curative water from the spring, to worship the miraculous image of Christ and walk through the still unreduced part of the monastic complex.