The Cathedral of the Holy Martyrs of the pious princes Boris and Gleb is a national monument of architecture of the Gothic-Renaissance style with features of the defensive architecture of the era of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Myths and Facts
Novogrudok Borisoglebsky Cathedral was built in 1519 on the site of an ancient temple of the XII century, which served as the foundation of a new church. The building was financed by the hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Prince Konstantin Ostrozhsky (donated the Bykovichi estate) with the support of Metropolitan Joseph Soltan. The walls of the building were made of limestone tuff blocks and insignificant inserts of burnt bricks. Later around the gallery was erected. Inside the temple was painted with frescoes, and the floors are covered with glazed ceramic tiles.
In the XVI century the building belonged to the monastery. Since 1839, the parish Orthodox Church has settled there, which has rebuilt it in a pseudo-Russian style. A wooden 4-tier iconostasis was created in 30 icons. In September 1876, in the presence of 10 thousand believers, Vladyka Alexander (Dobrynin) consecrated the renewed church.
After the Second World War, the temple was used as an archive. The Boris and Gleb Cathedral was restored and reopened for services only in the 1990s. In June 2010, the Belarusian Exarchate of the Moscow Patriarchate began reconstruction, as a result of which in November of the same year, the kokoshniki with tents completed with gilded bulb domes were put on the tower.
What to see
Currently, the cathedral is a rectangular under the hip roof of the nave, which goes into a lower 5-faceted apse under a separate hip roof. The main facade has two hipped towers, between which stands a low porch. The side facades are distinguished by faceted buttresses, flat pylons, highly pointed ogival windows, decorated with a wreath of arcades.
For some time in the church there was a miraculous image of the Virgin. In 1915, before the arrival of the Germans, the icon was taken to Ukraine. Now in the church there is only her photo.
Other sights of Belarus: temples of the defensive type of St. Michael and Murovankovsky, St. Sophia Cathedral.